Thursday, May 17, 2012

Homemade Playdough

Would you believe me if I said I had never made homemade playdough until this week? It's true! I may have made it with my mom when I was a little girl but I don't remember it if I did. Anyway, I decided it was time for Addison to be introduced to playdough and what better way to do that then by making it together?

The recipe I used was found on the Skip to My Lou blog

I set her on the counter (with her light up Easter bunny) and we set to work!

She liked to help me dump out the ingredients. She discovered that the best way is by using her fingers to scoop it out. What fun!

She then took it upon herself to help me stir. It was really cute to watch her try!
I chose not to add the food coloring in with the rest of the ingredients because I wanted a variety of colors. Instead, I cooked all of the main ingredients and after it had cooled, I took out the dough, divided it into sections and then (using rubber gloves and wax paper to cover the counter) I added drops of food coloring. 

To make it even more fun, we added some pretty sparkles! I have some fine colored sparkles and they worked perfect for this project!

Here are four of the colors that we made. We used neon food coloring and regular food coloring and created our own combination of colors. 


 To store the play-dough, I bought these cute little containers that came in a set of 10 from the dollar store.

Now let's see if she approves!


I think she likes it!


We will definitely be playing with playdough all summer long!

One thing I do want to mention, Jill's recipe only calls for 1 tsp of oil and I have seen others that call for at least 1 T. I kind of feel like this playdough is drying out faster than I would like and so next time I am going to try adding more oil. I'll let ya know if I do!

Thanks for joining us!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to receive feedback from my readers!